in Essentials … Unity
in Non-Essentials … Liberty
in All Things … Charity
PRAYERS OF THE PRESBYTERY OF THE EAST
FROM ITS PASTORS
June 17, 2020
SCRIPTURES FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS
In times of pandemic and social unrest, you can still count on this:
‘The LORD is good and His love endures forever;
His faithfulness continues through all generations.’
There is never a time when it is not time to pray. Paul says:
‘The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pry especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to live.’ (1 Timothy 2:1-3, The Message)
May God’s grace abound to us all so that in all things at all times, having all that we need, we may abound in every good work — including prayer — to the glory of His name (2 Corinthians 9:8).
‘If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you’ (James 1:5).
‘Stop doing wrong; learn to do right!
Seek justice; correct oppression.
Defend the cause of the fatherless;
plead the case of the widow.
‘Come now, let us reason together,’ says the LORD.
‘Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow.
Though they are red like crimson, they shall be like wool.
If you are willing and obedient,
you will eat the best from the land.
But if you resist and rebel,
you will be devoured by the sword.
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.’ ‘
‘If anyone boasts, ‘I love God,’ and goes right on hating his brother or sister, thinking nothing of it, he is a liar. If you won’t love the person you can see, how can you love the God you can’t see? The command we have from Christ is blunt: Loving God includes loving people. You’ve got to love both’ (1 John 4:20-21, The Message).
PRAYERS FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS:
- Pray for an end to racism, racial injustice, and racial prejudice wherever it exists in our culture, in the church, and throughout the world. Pray for equal justice for people of all colors, races, tribes, languages, and places of origin.
- Pray for the church to model the love of Jesus for all people.
- Pray for the grieving families of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and others who were mistreated and tragically lost their lives.
- Pray for the healing of our nation.
- Pray for our leaders to act with wisdom, courage, grace and compassion.
- Pray for the spread of the coronavirus to stop.
- Pray for the healing of all who have contracted the virus.
- Pray for the development of a successful vaccine and effective treatments.
- Pray for all who have suffered financially as a result of the coronavirus.
- Pray for our churches and church leaders to exercise wisdom and discernment in making decisions and preparations for the return to in-person Worship and other church activities.
- Pray that we as God’s people will keep our eyes on the cross (image here?) and not on the coronavirus (image here?).
From: Rev Dr. Neil Smith, Faith EPC, Kingstowne, VA.