PRESBYTERY OF THE EAST
Process for submitting and reading minutes:
- There is a rotating annual schedule by which each POTE local church submits its minutes. The schedule lists each of the three Presbytery of the East meetings per year when a church is due to submit its minutes. This is posted on the POTE website under “Minutes Schedule”.
- When minutes are submitted, local churches and mission churches submit all of the minutes approved by the church session up until that date. This does not necessarily equate to a calendar year of minutes.
- Out of respect for the important, bound book of church minutes that is the history of each church, do not bring that bound book to Presbytery meetings, and do not mail to the Resource Team Subteam, to avoid any damage to the originals of the minutes. Submit paper copies by mail or bring them physically to the POTE meetings at which they are due, or send them by FAX or email. Receipt of minutes by email makes review much easier.
- The Session Records Subteam of the Resource Team will respond by either approving them or not approving them. They can’t be approved if they have not been submitted—they don’t exist–, or there are exceptions.
- Exceptions: The Session Records Subteam must receive responses to Exceptions from a church by the Session correction the minutes or a statement of understanding of the exception and how the minutes will be corrected in the future.
- Notations: No response is required. Churches must make note of the Subteam’s Notations and not repeat the problem.
- When minutes are approved, the session Records Subteam will issue a sticker saying the are “Approved”. The sticker must be placed in the official/bound minutes book at the end of the section that has been approved.
- There are general guidelines available for each church that needs help and can be sending an email to the current Chairman of the Resource Team. The POTE website at epceast.org contains the composition of the current Resource Team and the Chairman is clearly identified. This Team if found under the tab “Committees”.